Request ID: NESFI
Request Title: New Energies - Solar Fuel Innovations
Submitting Organization: Shell GameChanger
Developments in solar and wind power are playing a growing part in lowering the cost of electricity. However, electrification of the energy system is challenging as electricity is relatively difficult to store. The vision of Solar Fuels is to convert solar energy into molecules for use in liquid fuel engines without adding CO2 to the atmosphere. The objective is to provide a near-term CO2 neutral fuel for today with longer term benefits of supplying difficult to transition fuels as Jet fuel. H2 is considered to be well positioned as a link between electrical supply and the various demand sectors. H2 can also serve as the building block to synthesize liquid fuels which are much needed in commercial and air transport, as well as for chemicals.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We seek proposals that can demonstrate and bring to “proof-of-concept” novel approaches to convert solar energy into electrons and/or molecules for use in liquid fuel engines without overall net addition of CO2 to the atmosphere. For doing so, stretch solutions are needed to be able to combine renewable H2 generation with environmental CO2 capture to generate renewable hydrocarbons. Proposals can also address parts of the challenge and or requirements.
Typically, technologies with a TRL 3 (as per API 17N) or lower are the best candidates for this call. Please provide a clear description on how you will reach your “Proof of Concept”.
TOPICS OF INTEREST:
- Conversion of sunlight into renewable electrons or renewable energy carriers
- “Environmental” CO2 capture as hydrocarbon feedstock
- (Photo)-electrochemical conversion of H2 and CO2 into hydrocarbons
TOPICS NOT OF INTEREST:
- Biomass gasification processes
- Biomass fermentation processes
- Carbon capture and sequestration (CCS)
Ideal proposals are early stage technology and/or from companies working to derisk technology and/or
business models. The GameChanger program offers non-dilutive pre-seed/seed funding, subject matter
expertise, and connections to assist with industry understanding and uptake.
CRITERIA FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Novelty – Is the idea fundamentally different and unproven?
- Valuable – Could the idea create substantial new value if it works?
- Doable – Is there a plan to prove the concept quickly and affordably?
- Relevant (Why Shell?) – Is the idea relevant to the future of energy?
Any information submitted as part of the process must contain only NON CONFIDENTIAL data and information at this stage.
The funding opportunity will be in the range USD 150,000 - 300,000 to progress a “proof of concept” in a phased approach over a period of no more than 12 months. Further development may be supported and or facilitated by Shell depending on the overall outcome of the initial award.